Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Baby Signs!

So when you walk into someone's house and there's a play pen and you trip over a rubber ducky, that's a sure sign there's a baby in the house!

Also if you open and close your fist while you hand is by the side of your face, you've just made the sign for milk. (think of the milking a cow action)

That's what I'm talking about today, milking cows-- i mean baby signing. I'm finally getting serious about it. Oh, I'll sign their names once in a while (After all, we pick the name Bob in part because it's so fun to sign!!) and an I love you sign here and there. I can sign the words to Red, Red, Robin. But it's time to get with it so they can sign back. 

I found this website: http://www.signingbaby.com/main/
as well as this fantastic ASL dictionary: http://www.aslpro.com/cgi-bin/aslpro/aslpro.cgi

The first sight has a great article on getting started, and guess what age they recommend starting? 6 months!! I'm so excited!! I'm sure you can start sooner or later, but hey! I'm right on with something! Yea for me!

Ok, so they said to start with 3 to 12 signs in the categories of Needs and Fun. Every time you say the word, do the sign. Every time. EVERY TIME. Sign and say! (Did I emphasize that enough for ya? ;) )

Here's my lists:

Needs:

Milk

Sleep

Diaper

Fun!:

More/ Finished

Laptop

Dog

I'm also throwing in family names and words I already use all the time with them:

(Twin) Brother

Mommy/Daddy

Grandma Joyce/ Grandpa Doug

Grandma Karen/ Grandpa Sam

Uncle/ Aunt

This is going to be so much fun!! Looking at the ASl dictionary, I got really excited. I forgot how much fun I have with ASL. So if you see me around, don't be surprised if I'm talking my hands off!

=^.,.^= 

2 comments:

  1. We did this and it completely works and is a life saver! We started with a few signs at 6 months and worked up from there. I had to keep reminding myself that this will work as it takes a few months to finally kick in. We quickly found out that our kids love the 'more' sign. Beware though, looking back, our lil ones used 'more' all the time and we knew what it meant, so it handicapped them on having them talk to ask what they need. It is still so much better than hearing them cry for hours on end!

    It really is one of the most amazing things when they first start using it. And with twins, shoot, they will be throwing signs back and forth behind your back before you know... watch that... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember your blog about obsession? I think i found ur obsession. LoL jk.

    ReplyDelete