Friday, March 13, 2009

Asimov

Ever since I can remember there have been two household names in my parents house that it seemed three days didn't go by without a mention. One was Robert Heinlein, the other Isaac Asimov. This is because my dad is a hard core sci-fi nut. My brothers and I became sci-fi nuts too, but I have this little rebellious spark in me. Even though I love sci-fi I refused for years to touch anything by Heinlein or Asimov. My dad just got me an anthology called Nightfall and Other Short Stories. All of them by Asimov. 

As I said before, I've mellowed out since I had the twins. 

Anyway, before each story Asamov wrote and intro telling about how each story came about. In the intro to "It's Such a Beautiful Day..." he sounded just like my dad! But that's not the point of this blog, that's just an intresting tid bit I thought I'd throw in there. 

It's the intro to "Hostess" that caught my eye, and as Weird Al said "You all know how painful that can be!"

In it he talks about how his wife came up with a little scheme to be more involved in her husband's writing. He'd dictate the stories and she'd type them up. And he was a bit surprised to find it actually worked! So my writer brain kicked into high gear and I thought "That is a great idea!!" Ok, so I don't know anyway who can type for me, but I could type for me and I can dictate into a little tape player or something. Maybe it would speed things up for me.

Or and an extra step that holds everything up.

Anyway, I figured out why I'm not finished with my story yet. It's all down to where I do my best writing. Unfortunately it's the worst place for it. Yep, the shower. The paper gets all soggy and the ink runs and then all that soggy paper clogs up the drain as bits of it fall off. The bath isn't any better 'cause it's not a shower, and as we all know our talents spike while we're in the shower. That's why we sing and do our best thinking in there. 

I even tried writing on the wall, but then I put off taking my computer into the bathroom to type it up and Jeff rinsed it off next time he took a shower. A whole chapter down the drain! Hmmm....

Maybe Asimov did so great as a writer because he used a typewriter. You can't get distracted by facebook or LOLcats, and you can see the stack of paper growing and growing as you write. A typo sucks to fix, but maybe it would be worth it....

Any one got a typewriter they don't want?

=^.,.^=

No comments:

Post a Comment